Private Redbridge owners (2023)

Participate in proposals to renew select Redbridge private rental property licenses

Energy Efficiency (Letting out private property) Regulations (England and Wales) 2015

The Minimum Household Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES)Specify a minimum level of energy efficiency for privately rented residential properties.

Effective April 1, 2020, a property must have an EPC rating of E or hold an exemption if the property is to be rented out.

The provisions apply to all domestic private rental properties that:

  • Find out about certain types of leasing
  • required by law to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

The regulation does not apply to public sector residential properties, RSLs and licensed leased properties.

Landlords must ensure their properties comply with the recommendations in the EPC report, which detail measures that should improve their property's energy efficiency to Band E or higher if they wish to continue renting.

Circumstances where an EPC may not be required

  • a building that is officially protected as part of a designated environment or for its particular architectural or historical value, where meeting certain minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter its character or appearance
  • a building used as places of worship and for religious activities
  • a temporary building with a planned useful life of two years or less
  • Industrial sites, workshops, non-domestic agricultural buildings with low energy demand and non-domestic agricultural buildings used by a sector covered by a national sectoral agreement on energy performance
  • Stand-alone buildings with a total usable area of ​​less than 50 m² (i.e. buildings completely separated from other buildings)
  • HMOs (Multiple Occupancy Houses) can be, for example, shared rooms, hostels, shared apartments, etc. that have not been sold in the last ten years or have not been rented out as the only rental in the last ten years

Registration of an exemption

To register an exemption, a landlord or agent must create an online account with the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. This must be proven to the municipality. Exceptions apply for five years. They are not transferable to a new property.

There are manyExceptions to the ban on renting a property with an energy efficiency class less than E

If your property meets the criteria for one of the exemptions, you can rent it once you have registered the exemption with thePRS Exemption Register.

There are other exceptions in the form of:

  • Relief from high costs
  • No wall insulation
  • Waiver of Third Party Consent
  • Allowance for depreciation of land and in certain cases allowance for
  • New landlord exemption

These apply where even the cheapest measure exceeds £3,500, where remedial work degrades or affects the fabric or structure of the property or where third party approvals cannot be obtained. For the full list of exceptions and explanations, see the Domestic Private Leasing Sector Minimum Standard Guide.

Enforcement Council for non-compliance with regulations

Compliance Notices

If the London Borough of Redbridge believes that a landlord may have committed an infringement, we may send out a compliance statement requesting information to help us decide if an infringement has occurred. We may send a compliance notice up to 12 months after a suspected violation has occurred.

A compliance notice may request information about:

  • the EPC in effect at the time of rental
  • the lease agreement under which the property was rented
  • Information about implemented energy efficiency improvements
  • any energy advisory report relating to the property
  • all other relevant documents


The Council can take enforcement action if we confirm that a property is (or has been) rented out in breach of the Regulations. We may award a fine up to 18 months after the breach and/or publish the details of the breach for at least 12 months. The maximum amounts of sanctions are applied per property and for non-compliance with the regulations. They are:

  • up to £2,000 and/or a listing penalty for renting an unqualified property for less than 3 months
  • up to £4,000 and/or listing penalty for renting a non-qualifying property for 3 months or more
  • up to £1,000 and/or publication for providing false or misleading information on the PRS Exempt Register
  • up to £2,000 and/or publication for failure to comply with a declaration of conformity

The maximum amount you can be fined per property is £5,000 in total.Read the government guide

Properties with a low EPC rating or those that have been exempted may still need to apply because of theHousing Act 2004Using the Home Health and Safety Ratin System (HHSRS) to ensure blight, such as B. cold dangers are addressed.

If you have any questions, please send an

Green Homes Grant is now available to help homeowners meet Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES).To apply, visit the Minimum Energy Performance Standards website

Here you will find information on your obligations as a landlord and on the following topics:

  • Electrical safety standards in the Private Rental Sector Regulations (England) 2020
  • Energy Efficiency (Letting out private property) Regulations (England and Wales) 2015

  • Civil penalties and legal updates
  • Rogue Owners Checker
  • Holder Accreditation System
  • Private leases
  • evictions
  • Rights and Responsibilities
  • Repair plan
  • Rent out your property with us
  • Ownership License

antisocial behavior

(Video) The London Borough of Redbridge: How a quiet London suburb turned into a hotspot for crime

It is the responsibility of the landlord and/or manager to always take reasonable steps to prevent anti-social behavior from occurring in the first place.

You are responsible for dealing with anti-social behavior caused by your tenants, whether on your property or within your property lines.

Control of anti-social behavior is a condition of the license and it is the owners duty to deal with complaints from residents or tenants living in the property in a timely manner.

IsNational Homeowners Association (NEAT)offers homeowners good advice on how to deal with this problem effectively and legally.

We appreciate that good landlords have sometimes taken all reasonable steps to deal with ASB and are faced with legal repossession of the property as a last resort. If this is the case, we ask that the owners fully inform us of the situation as soon as it arises and inform us of all the steps needed to resolve the issue so that no coercive action is taken against the owner for breaching the terms of the ASB license.

The NEAT offers further advice and insight into what constitutes anti-social behavior and how best to address it.

Electrical safety standards in the Private Rental Sector Regulations (England) 2020

To which rental properties does the Electrical Safety Ordinance apply?

If a private tenant is entitled to occupy a property as a sole or main residence and pays rent, the rules apply. This includes short-term secured ownership and rights of use.

All new leases granted on or after June 1, 2020 must comply with regulations effective July 1, 2020. Therefore, an Electrical Condition Report (EICR) is required for all leases from June 1, 2020. The regulations will apply from Thursday, April 1, 2021. to all existing leases

The Apartment Buildings (England) Regulations 2006 previously placed specific electrical safety obligations on property owners. This requirement has now been removed and HMOs are now covered by the Electrical Safety Regulations 2020.

The exceptions are enteredAppendix 1 of the RegulationThis includes public housing, tenants, those on a long-term lease of at least 7 years, college dormitories, hostels and sanctuaries, residences, hospitals and hospices, and other healthcare-related accommodation.

Owners of private rental apartments must:

  • Ensure that national electrical safety regulations are followed. These are set in18th Edition of the 'Wiring Ordinance', published as British Standard 7671.
  • Make sure that the electrical installations in your rental properties are checked and checked at least every 5 years by a competent and qualified person.
  • Obtain a report from the person conducting the inspection and test that includes the results and sets a date for the next inspection and test.
  • Provide a copy of this report to the existing tenant within 28 days of the inspection and audit.
  • Provide a new tenant with a copy of this report before moving in.
  • Provide a copy of this report to each prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving the report request.
  • Provide a copy of this report to the Council within 7 days of receipt of a request for a copy.
  • Keep a copy of the report to give to the inspector and tester who will conduct the next inspection and test.
  • If the report indicates that additional repair or investigation work is required, complete such work within 28 days, or less time if the report indicates it is required.
  • Confirm in writing to the tenant and the community within 28 days of the completion of the work that the electrician has completed the repair work.


If we believe a landlord has failed to comply, we may serve a notice to the landlord asking them to comply with their obligations and take corrective action. If, based on the report, there are indications that urgent action is required (meaning action that is required immediately to eliminate the current hazard and risk of injury), the Council has the power to intervene.

It is important that owners comply with the rules as failure to comply can result in a fine of up to £30,000. Therefore, landlords must ensure that the electrical installation in their rental property is inspected and tested by April 1, 2021 for all existing leases, as it is the landlord's obligation to have the initial inspection and test performed before this date and not after this date .

More information

You can read themregulationsor find more information inguideif you have any questions pleasecontact the team.

Civil penalties and legal updates

We have a zero tolerance policy towards dishonest landlords and unlicensed properties.View our current application guidelines (PDF 5.36 MB).

Under the Housing and Planning Act 2016 we can now impose a civil penalty of up to £30,000 for unlicensed property and other offenses as an alternative to prosecution including:

  • Failure to comply with an Improvement Notice
  • Offenses related to permitting a multi-family dwelling (HMO)
  • Offenses relating to selective licensing under Part 3 of the Housing Act 2004
  • Violation of an overcrowding notice
  • Failure to comply with HMO management rules

The legislation amends certain provisions of the Housing Act 2004 and introduces new financial penalties for failure to comply with housing regulations, property permits and HMO management requirements.

The imposition of an economic sanction does not require a criminal proceeding. If the municipality has sufficient evidence of the violation, it can impose a civil sanction without having to appear in court. The local authority should take the new government guidelines into account when determining the appropriate penalty. The process involves issuing a letter of intent and requesting representation. A final decision and fine can then be issued, with an opportunity to appeal to the trial court. If it is not paid, we can apply to the district court for a court order. For certain crimes, both the landlord and landlord can be held liable and subject to new civil sanctions laws.

The Housing and Planning Act 2016 gives local authorities the power to apply to the Court of First Instance for restraining orders for people found guilty of breaches of restraining orders.

See the list of crimes

(Video) Dagenham & Redbridge hospitality - REVIEWED 👀

The Government has extended the provisions of the Rent Refund Order (RRO), which allows English local authorities and tenants to charge up to 12 months' rent. Previously, RROs only applied to unlicensed properties and tenants could not make claims unless the local authority had prosecuted the owner first.

As of April 2017, RRO requests can be made for a much wider range of offenses including:

  • unlawful eviction or harassment of squatters;
  • use of force to secure access; Y
  • Violation of a do-it-yourself permit or a prohibition order.

Local authorities can apply for an RRO for any rent paid through Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, while renters can apply for an RRO if they paid the rent themselves.

Renters can now apply for an RRO without first processing the landlord from the local authority. Instead, the renter would have to prove the offense to the satisfaction of the court of first instance dealing with the case.

A special power of attorney was also included in the law, allowing local authorities to assist tenants in applying for an RRO.

Unlike criminal prosecutions, all proceeds from civil penalties and RROs may be withheld by the local authority and spent on housing enforcement actions.

Rogue Owners Checker

Participated in Rogue Landlord and Agent Checker.

Check whether your landlord or manager is registered in this database.

Holder Accreditation System

The Owner Accreditation Scheme provides owners with training and support. It also ensures that tenure standards are met.

We support themLondon Landlord Accreditation Scheme.You can also apply through accreditationHomeowners Associationand theNational Association of Owners.

An owner in good standing may be entitled to do soGrant help to make a vacant lot usable again.

Private leases

A lease is a contract between a landlord and a tenant that sets out the terms of the lease. These agreements are usually made before renting a property. HeAnimal shelter websiteoffers more informationdifferent types of leases.


You must follow strict procedures if you want your tenants to vacate your property. The exact procedure depends on the rental agreement and its terms.Read government guidance on evictions.

Schutzcontains detailed information about the process you need to follow. If you live in Redbridge and are at risk of eviction, you can contact ourHousing Opportunities Teamfor help and advice.

Obligations of the landlord

A homeowner's primary responsibility for moisture and mold problems is to ensure they receive proper diagnosis and treatment. This is because moisture treatment is a required repair under the Home Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).

Landlord obligations in the event of mold

When mold starts to form in a rental property, it's important that you treat it quickly and effectively once you've found the cause.

HHSRS, which landlords must comply with, emphasizes that landlords must ensure that mold does not affect the physical and mental health of the renter. Mold is a nasty fungus to live with and is known to cause respiratory problems. Renters who suffer from asthma, rhinitis or are undergoing cancer treatment can experience serious health problems if exposed to them. 1 in 8 children and 1 in 13 adults in the UK has asthma so it's best to get it fixed fast.

(Video) Housing Officers - A day in the life

In addition to the health effects, moisture and mold growth can also cause it;

  • Rotting wooden window frames
  • Damage to plaster, wallpaper and painted surfaces
  • Damage to Renter's Property

Causes of moisture and mold growth

Moisture production is affected by design, construction, decay, and occupant density and activity.

It has been our experience that the majority of moisture and mold inquiries relate to a condensation problem within the property.

Condensation occurs mainly in cold weather, so it doesn't leave telltale tide marks whether it's raining or dry. It occurs on cold surfaces such as windows, tiles, toilet tanks, and areas of the home where there is a lack of ventilation and little airflow. It often becomes a problem when mold infestation occurs. Black mold and mildew can grow on almost any surface, including wood, silicone, tile, flooring, paint, and paper. In this case, the tenant usually turns to the landlord or the municipality.

What actions can homeowners take?

Provide adequate ventilation in the building, especially in bathrooms and kitchens. Make sure the windows in these rooms can be opened and, if possible, provide extractor hoods in these rooms. Make sure your tenants understand how to use fans and open windows. Ensure that existing vents are not blocked or decorated and that vents on windows and doors are working properly.

Ensure your property has adequate cavity wall and attic insulation to reduce the number of cold surfaces for condensation to form on. Older properties may require more work to provide additional insulation.Home Improvement Grantsare available from the Council to homeowners and renters in the community to improve the energy efficiency of their homes by installing low-carbon heating upgrades.

Provide safe and adequate heating in your property with timers and temperature controls and ensure tenants understand how to use the heating system in your property.

Homeowners can also ensure moisture isn't caused by leaking central heating or drain pipes, faulty stormwater products, drains, toilets, or a failed waterproofing or cleaning course. It is also advisable to ensure that the structure of the property is in good condition and watertight.

Advise your tenants to produce less moisture by taking some simple and inexpensive lifestyle measures.

  • Wipe excess moisture off windows and window sills and wring out the cloth rather than drying on a heater to prevent the removed moisture from evaporating back into the atmosphere.
  • Air dry clothes if possible; If you use a tumble dryer, make sure it is a condensing unit or an externally vented dryer.
  • Cook with pot lids and open kitchen windows, or use the extractor fan while cooking.
  • When bathing and showering, open the windows or use the exhaust fan.
  • Avoid using paraffin or bottled gas heaters on your property as they can generate up to 4 pints of moisture in 8 hours.

As a landlord, you have special legal obligations towards your tenants with regard to gas safety.

Your obligations apply to a variety of Accommodations occupied under lease or license, including but not limited to:

  • Apartments for rent provided by us (Redbridge Council), housing associations, private landlords, housing associations, hostels
  • Room rental in shared rooms, private houses, guesthouses and holiday hotels such as chalets, cottages and apartments.
  • Caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.
    The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 addresses the landlord's obligations to ensure that gas appliances, fittings and fireplaces provided to tenants are safe.

As a landlord, your responsibilities related to gas are:

  1. Maintenance lines, equipment and chimneys are to be kept in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be maintained according to the manufacturer's instructions. If they are not available, it is recommended that they be reviewed annually unless: aRegistered gas safe
  2. Gas safety check: A gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance/fireplace every 12 months. A gas safety check ensures that gas appliances and fittings are safe to use.
  3. Registration: You must provide tenants with an annual gas safety registration within 28 days of completing surveillance or to new tenants prior to moving in. Owners must keep copies of the gas safety log for two years.

All installation, maintenance and safety checks must be performed by a Gas Safe registered technician.

If a tenant has his own gas consumer not provided by the landlord, you are responsible for the maintenance of the gas lines, but not for the consumer himself. You should also make sure tenants know where to turn off the gas and what to do in the event of a gas emergency.

Visit theHealth and Safety Officer (HSE) website.for more information on homeowners' responsibilities for gas safety.

What if I only rent out my property for a short period of time?

Even if a property is only rented out for a short period of time, you are still responsible for gas safety.

Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors

All property owners must ensure that properties are fitted with smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.

All owners are obliged:

(Video) Redbridge Landlord Forum 30 September 2021

  • Install at least one smoke detector on each floor of the building
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector in rooms with a solid fuel appliance
  • Make sure all alarms are working when a new tenancy starts
smoke detector

Smoke detectors should be installed in all rooms for maximum protection.

Smoke alarms should be installed as close to the center of the room, hallway, or landing as possible. They should be at least 30 centimeters from any wall or lamp.

Test alarms once installed and remind your tenants to test them regularly. Special smoke alarm kits are available for the hearing impaired.

carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is highly toxic and is formed when fuels are incompletely burned. This happens when a gas appliance is improperly installed, poorly repaired, or poorly maintained. It can also occur when flues, chimneys, or vents are blocked.

Fuels that can produce carbon monoxide include:

  • Gas
  • Money
  • madera
  • Petrol
  • Petroleum
  • liquefied petroleum gas

Carbon monoxide alarms can be screwed to a wall. You can also get independent alerts. Detectors should be sited near potential sources of carbon monoxide. Alarms must be between one and three meters from the source and at least five feet from the ceiling. Avoid placing them near windows or air vents.

People suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should get fresh air, open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances or other sources, leave the house, and seek medical attention immediately.

More information about the legislation and free alerts:

As a landlord, you must present an energy certificate for your tenants when renting out your property.See how to get a certificate

Manage agent responsibilities

Administrative Office Brochure (PDF 3.63 MB)

Display waste correctly (PDF 440 KB)

Tips for renters

Sometimes tenants have problems with their property or with their landlord and need help. The London Borough of Redbridge has published a guide for tenants to help them resolve these issues.

Repair plan

legislationwas introduced meaning that from 1st October 2014 it is a legal requirement for landlords and property managers in England to join one of two government approved compensation schemes. We will enforce the requirement and can impose a fine of up to £5,000 if an agent or property manager who should have joined a scheme has not done so.

All letting agents and property managers in England are required to join one of the government approved compensation schemes listed below. This has been a legal requirement since October 1, 2014.

The approved repair systems are:

Rent your house with us

Find out how you can rent out your property with us

Ownership License

Most landlords and leasing agents now require a license for each property they rent in the community.

  • Selective Licensing applies to all rental properties that are not mandatory HMO (i.e. more than 5 occupants forming 2 or more households) but are located in one of 12 designated areas:
  • Selective scheme 2

Aldborough, Chadwell, Church End, Cranbrook, Fairlop, Goodmayes, Loxford, Mayfield, Newbury, Roding, Seven Kings, Snaresbrook.

  • HMO License: Required for properties occupied by five or more people living in two or more households. The application is running. If your property is not licensed you risk prosecution or a fine of up to £30,000.

    Find out what license you need and how to apply for it


1. Redbridge Landlord Forum 6 October 2020
(Redbridge Council)
2. Redbridge Landlord Forum 3 November 2022
(Redbridge Council)
3. Streets Apart - walking with older adults in Redbridge
4. RedBridge Capital What lies beneath time and sales
(RedBridge CapitL LLC)
5. Why is Tim Howard investing in Dagenham & Redbridge?
(BT Sport)
6. Aspen Grove Ranch - Kremmling, Colorado
(Hall and Hall)


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Lidia Grady

Last Updated: 19/10/2023

Views: 6026

Rating: 4.4 / 5 (45 voted)

Reviews: 84% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Lidia Grady

Birthday: 1992-01-22

Address: Suite 493 356 Dale Fall, New Wanda, RI 52485

Phone: +29914464387516

Job: Customer Engineer

Hobby: Cryptography, Writing, Dowsing, Stand-up comedy, Calligraphy, Web surfing, Ghost hunting

Introduction: My name is Lidia Grady, I am a thankful, fine, glamorous, lucky, lively, pleasant, shiny person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.